Basic health insurance coverage

University of Toronto students have basic health insurance coverage through either Provincial Health Insurance (see below) or the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).

These plans cover most doctor and hospital visits, but they do not cover services such as prescription medication, physiotherapy, dental care, vision care, psychotherapy, etc. 

Supplementary health insurance

Most students will have partial coverage for additional services through a supplementary health insurance plan provided by one of the following:

For information about supplementary travel health insurance, please visit the Centre for International Experience website.

Note that Health & Wellness does not coordinate health insurance plans. If you have questions about your insurance plan, please direct them to your insurance provider.

About Provincial Health Insurance

Students who are permanent residents of Ontario will have provincial health insurance coverage called Ontario Health Insurance Plan or OHIP

Students from other provinces are usually covered under their own provincial plans. However, be aware that regulations vary from province to province. If you're an out-of-province student, be sure you're aware of the coverage you will have while in Ontario. Some provinces require students attending out of province universities to submit a letter of acceptance to the university, as well as proof of registration for the current year, in order to received continued health insurance coverage. There may also be a difference in terms of the services covered by the various provincial health insurance plans.