Discussing your academic accommodations with your professor

Ask yourself what the faculty or staff member really needs to know when discussing your academic accommodations. You only need to inform others about your accommodations that are relevant to them – for example, to your professor: “I have an academic accommodation that requires me to sit in the front row of my classroom.” Giving too much detail about your disability or personal struggles is not recommended. Instead, we recommended that you discuss the specific limitations you are experiencing in a professor’s course and the accommodations that have been recommended by your disability advisor. 

If you make the request in person, follow up with an email thanking your professor and outlining your agreement. Read our tips for requesting an extension.  

Letter of Accommodation

Students must be registered with Accessibility Services in order to get the Letter of Accommodation. Once you are registered, you can download the Letter of Accommodation.

Test and Exam Services

If you have been approved to write your quizzes, tests or exams with accommodations, register with Test and Exam Services.

Our office works collaboratively with Test and Exam Services to provide you with a supportive space to successfully write your tests and exams with your approved accommodations

Test and Exam Services is located at 255 McCaul Street, room 340.

Adaptive technology and assessment

Our Adaptive Technologist will meet with you to:

  • Identify what technology and software are available as accommodations for the functional limitations you face as a result of your documented disability.
  • Assist you to implement and learn how to use the technology and software accommodations.
  • Make recommendations for the Bursary for Students with Disabilities, for eligible students.


You may be eligible to receive tutoring as part of your academic accommodations. 

Financial support

There is a variety of financial aid available for students with disabilities.

  1. Apply for the Ontario Student Assistance Program (or the equivalent program in your home province) to determine whether you are eligible for any of the following:
  2. Access to a Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities
  3. To apply for the Canada Study Grant for the Accommodations of Students with Disabilities (CSG)
  4. To apply for the Bursary for Students With Disabilities (BSWD).
  5. The ability to take a reduced course load (as low as 40% or 2 courses) and still receive financial support

To apply for the CSG or BSWD grant, you must meet with your disability advisor.


Request volunteer note-taking services:

If you have trouble taking class notes due to difficulty concentrating, writing, accessing verbal information, chronic pain or other issues, you can request volunteer note-taking services.

Volunteer as a note-taker:

If you would like to volunteer as a note-taker for students registered with Accessibility Srevices, learn what is involved and how to become a volunteer note-taker.

Graduate Students

If you need additional time to complete your graduate degree due to disability-related barriers, we can support you.

  • Create a modified work plan with your Disability Advisor and share it with your supervisor.
  • If you or your supervisor expresses concern about your graduate funding, talk to your Disability Advisor about options.