U of T expects members of the University community to adhere to the current guideline regarding wearing of face masks when on campus.
We recognize that some students may be unable to wear a face mask due to medical or disability-related reasons. Students who meet eligibility criteria may apply for a mask accommodation due to an identified medical or disability-related barrier(s).
You may be eligible to apply for a mask accommodation:
- If you require accommodation for reasons of disability under Ontario’s Human Rights Code and/or the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005
- If you have a medical condition including a physical condition, mental health condition, or other health concern that makes it difficult to wear a face mask, including a medical condition that makes it difficult to breathe, or to put on and remove a face mask without assistance, or someone who is unconscious or incapacitated
- Where the ability to see the mouth is required for communication, if you are a person with hearing loss and/or deafness or if you are the person communicating with a person with hearing loss and/or deafness (provided measures are in place to protect health and safety)
Booking & Documentation
If you are a student already registered with Accessibility Services, please contact email@example.com or call 416-978-8060 to book an appointment to discuss your mask accommodation with your assigned accessibility advisor.
If you are not registered with Accessibility Services, follow the guidance below.
To complete the Request for Mask Accommodation on Campus Form online, you will need to:
- Log into the secured online form using your UTORid and password.
- Plan to spend approximately 5 to 10 minutes completing the form.
- Section 1: Your student information and current course detail will be imported from ROSI/ACORN
- Section 2: Provide your alternate contact information, if applicable
- Section 3: Provide information about your disability-related barriers, and any course code information that was not included in Section 1
Complete the Request Form
Please review our Policy: Accessibility Services Statement of Confidentiality prior to submitting your application for mask accommodation.
If you meet multiple mask exemption criteria, please complete your application based on the primary criteria that impacts your ability to wear a mask or other face covering.
An incomplete form may delay the review of your submission.
You may not apply on behalf of other individuals.
If you need to access the application in an alternate format (fillable PDF) or have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outcomes & Next Steps
Once you submit your form, it will be directed to the Accessibility Services intake coordinator. Following a review of the application form, the intake coordinator will follow up with you within 3-5 business days to discuss your application to:
- Request clarification of details you provided within your application, if needed.
- Request documentation you may have available about your medical or disability-related barrier(s), if needed.
- Obtain a completed Notification on How Your Information Will Be Used as Part of the Intake Process. This form is required prior to our scheduling of a consult appointment.
Upon receipt of the information above, a consult appointment will be scheduled for you to speak with an accessibility advisor about your request for mask accommodation(s).
You are not approved for a mask accommodation until you have met with an accessibility advisor and received written notification of your accommodation approval.
We may ask you to obtain additional documentation following the consultation. We may also need to share your information with the Department of Environmental Health & Safety – University of Toronto.
Privacy & Policies
Considerations & Exceptions
Approved mask accommodations may include conditions or limitations specified by the Department of Environmental Health & Safety – University of Toronto.