Peer Advisor Drop-in Sessions are designed for students who are registered with or thinking about registering with Accessibility Services to chat with their peers and learn more about using accommodations.
Discussion topics may include:
- how to register with Accessibility Services
- how to fill out the Intake Form
- downloading your Letter of Accommodation
- speaking to professors
- registering for Accommodated Testing Services
- planning your semester
- setting goals
Join us whether you have a brief question or several questions. Drop in when you can and stay for as long as you’d like during the session.
These sessions are available to all students, at any level, who are registered with Accessibility Services. They are also available to students who are thinking about registering with Accessibility Services.
How The Program Works
These are group sessions facilitated by peer advisors. Peer advisors can’t advise you on your specific accommodations or inform you of possible outcomes of your requests. For these inquiries, please connect with your accessibility advisor.
Fall 2023 schedule
Our Live-Chat with Us feature on our department page will be available daily on Monday – Friday from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Monday and Friday are online only. On Fridays, the chat will be monitored by graduate students.
Peer advisors will also be available in-person at Accessibility Services Main Office, 455 Spadina Avenue, every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Registration is not required, simply chat with us online or drop by our office.
Here are some examples of questions you can ask:
- How do I register with Accessibility Services?
- What if I don’t have/am still waiting for documentation?
- Can you walk me through filling out the intake form?
- What happens at the intake appointment?
- How do I request a note taker for my class(es)?
- What happens if the notes are inconsistent in quality and/or quantity?
- What happens if there are no note takers for my class?
- How do I connect with students with similar lived experiences?
- Who can I talk to if I feel like I’m behind in school work?
- How can I stay on top of deadlines?
- Where can I go for academic support?
- What is a learning a strategist, what do they do and how can I connect with one?
- Who can I talk to if I need financial help?
- How do I download my Letter of Accommodation (LOA)?
- What is outlined in my LOA? Who has access to this information?
- What do I put in the email when sending the LOA to my professor?
- Should I send my LOA to my TA?
- What are the next steps after sending my LOA?
- How do I register for quiz, term test or final exam accommodations?
- What happens if I miss the 14-day deadline?
- What happens if I haven’t heard back from my professor about test or exam details?
- What do I do if I know I will need to miss a test, quiz or lab?
- How do I request an extension for an assignment?
- Can I get an extension on group work?
- What happens if I need an extension beyond 7 days?
- What should I put in the email when communicating with professors when requesting an extension?
- What happens if my extension is denied?
If you have other questions about the drop-in format, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.