Become a volunteer note-taker through our Volunteer Note-taking program.
Note-taking is one of the most common academic accommodations given to students registered with Accessibility Services. Volunteer note-taking is not meant to replace students attending class, instead it acts as a complementary service. Notes are used by students registered with our services whose disability affects their ability to take notes.
If you’re wondering how to take effective notes as a volunteer note-taker, find more information in our guide: Taking volunteer notes (PDF).
Volunteer note-taking is a CCR eligible activity if you upload 80% of notes for one or more courses.
For information on receiving peer notes as an accommodation, please visit our Note-taking support page.
All undergraduate and graduate students can register to become volunteer note-takers.
How The Program Works
Become a volunteer note-taker in three steps
- Register as a volunteer note-taker on the Note-taking Portal.
- Attend your class regularly and take effective notes. If you drop the class, please inform us immediately by contacting email@example.com.
- After each class, please upload your notes to the Note-taking Portal within 24-48 hours.
Manage your CCR
The Co-Curricular Record (CCR) is validated once a year in June.
Please know that we have made some changes to the note-taking program. In the past, we had students make a request for CCR via the Career Learning Network (CLNx). Now, we will automatically verify your CCR activity. You no longer have to make a request for CCR validation. You can monitor your CCR status online via CLNx.
CCR activity cannot be backdated, so it is important to know your deadlines.
The accommodations administrator has the right to revoke CCR activity for the following reasons:
- The note-taker does not meet the 80% uploading criteria of least 2 H credit/1 Y credit courses during an academic year.
- The notes were not consistently uploaded.
- The notes have not been uploaded within the 24-48 hour time period.
- The notes uploaded were poor quality.
- The administrator suspects the notes were plagiarized.
Request your Certificate of Recognition
To request your Certificate of Recognition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- Full name
- Student number and UTORid
- The course(s) that you volunteered for
- The academic year of the course(s) (e.g., Fall 2018, 2018-2019 academic term, etc.)
Note: Depending on when you submit the request, it could take up to one to two weeks to create the certificate.
Register as a volunteer note-taker on the Note-taking Portal.