If you are experiencing a housing emergency, we can help.

Winter break closure:

The University will be closed for the winter break from December 21, 2019 to January 5, 2020. Our office will re-open on January 6, 2020.

For information on off-campus housing listings, please visit our off-campus housing website. If you are experiencing a housing emergency, please contact U of T Campus Police at 416-978-2222. 

Assistance for students in a crisis

We offer one-on-one assistance and referrals to students:

  • Who have lost, or are at risk of losing their current housing situation
  • Whose current housing is untenable
  • Who may not have the resources (personal, financial, etc.) to find housing on their own


A housing emergency may be due to:

  • Conflict in the home
  • Relationship break-up
  • Unsafe or unlivable housing conditions
  • House fire or other calamity
  • Financial difficulty
  • Eviction
  • Short-term homelessness
  • Other issues

Can we help?

If you are unable to find temporary housing, stay with family or friends, or if you have any other issues that make it hard to find appropriate housing (short or long-term), we can help.

We will work with you and other U of T staff, as appropriate, to help you find housing and continue with your studies.

To arrange an appointment, call 416-978-8045, extension “0” or visit Housing Services at 214 College St., Room 150.


Who to call in an emergency

If you do not have a place to stay for the night, and it is after hours, please contact Campus Police at 416-978-2323.

If you are fleeing an abuse situation, please contact an intake worker at the Community Safety Office during office hours or the Campus Police after office hours.

To access a City of Toronto Shelter, call 311 or Central Intake 416-338-4766 or Toll free 1-877-338-3398.