Community Action Project: Fudger House Friendly visiting Program
Become a Friendly Visitor Volunteer
Walk into a room and make someone smile – become a Friendly Visitor at Fudger House, a long-term care home for seniors that provides quality and safe care to residents in a warm and welcoming home within a diverse neighbourhood Fudger House promotes an inclusive, affirmative and LGBTQ2S+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, 2 spirited plus) friendly environment. Get a first-hand look at working in long-term care, and build new friendships that you never knew were possible. As a Friendly Visitor, you will be paired up with a resident and you will have the opportunity to visit with them 1-2 times a week for an hour. You will provide a vital community link for the resident. You will spend some one-on-one time and can make new friends as you discuss mutually shared interests, current events and/or memories from years past.
As a Friendly Visitor you will:
- Visit with a resident for a minimum of 1 day a week (maximum of 2 days).
- Visit for 1-2 hours.
- Spend some one-on-one time with a new friend.
- Be provided with orientation, training, staff support, program choices and flexibility in scheduling.
This opportunity is open to students of any academic background. Students who have been able to take initiative and try to learn about the resident, have had the most success in being able to cultivate a meaningful and successful experience.
Do you speak Cantonese? Fudger House is currently looking for 4-6 Cantonese speaking students to meet with Cantonese speaking residents 1-2 times a week for an hour.
How it works
- Attend an Orientation session at Fudger House.
- Attend an interview and fill out a Police Reference Check application at Fudger House either by picking one up in person at our office or by emailing us. Complete the training provided by Fudger House.
- Complete the Orientation provided by CCP.
- Participate for at least 6 months.
- Attend a reflection session with the CCP and other participants.
If you complete all of the above requirements you can add this experience to your Co-Curricular Record.
When and where
Schedule and time commitment
We ask you to make a minimum six-month commitment to the program.
You will visit Fudger House one or two times a week for an hour or two. Scheduling is flexible.