These resources are designed for current peer mentors or for staff, faculty or students who are running or developing mentoring programs.
Mentorship is a learning relationship between two or more people, and it typically follows four phases:
Preparing is the discovery stage of the mentoring relationship:
- Discover your own personal motivation and readiness to be a mentor.
- Get to know your mentee and build rapport.
- Create a context for the learning partnership you and your mentee will build together.
- Foundations of Peer Mentorship (PDF)
- Understanding the Mentorship Competency Framework (PDF)
- Characteristics of Peer Mentors (PDF)
- Mentoring Skills Inventory (PDF)
- Thinking About Your Personal Journey (PDF)
- Initial Conversations with Mentees (PDF)
Negotiating is the business stage of the mentoring relationship:
- Support your mentee by helping them create learning goals.
- Create a learning agreement with your mentee, to cover shared responsibilities and ground rules.
- Establish boundaries with your mentee.
- Setting Goals with Your Mentees (PDF)
- Developing a Mentoring Partnership Agreement (PDF)
- Template Mentoring Agreement (PDF)
Enabling is the work stage of the mentoring relationship – this is where mentors will have the most contact with their mentees:
- Support your mentee’s learning and challenge their assumptions through one-on-one mentoring or mentor-led group work.
- Provide useful feedback to them to help them achieve their desired learning goals.
- Learning About Active Listening (PDF)
- Four Types of Listening (PDF)
- Having 1-on-1 Conversations with Mentees (PDF)
- Emotional Intelligence Intuition (PDF)
- Open Ended Questions Exercise (PDF)
- Facilitating Growth Exercise (PDF)
- Facilitating Reflection with Mentees (PDF)
- Group Facilitation (EFFECT formula) (PDF)
- Strategies for Engaging with Mentees (PDF)
- Re-engaging with Mentees (PDF)
- Working with Students in Distress (PDF)
Coming to closure
Coming to closure is the reflection stage of the mentoring relationship:
- Assess the value of your mentoring partnership.
- Identify areas of growth and learning.
- Celebrate learning outcomes achieved.
- Thinking About Closure with Mentees (PDF)
- Coming to Closure Exercise (PDF)
- Self Reflection Exercise (PDF)
If you require accessible versions of these resources, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Access & Inclusion Peer ProgramsAccess and Inclusion Peer Programs is a mentorship program for students from historically underrepresented and marginalized communities. We offer academic, career, wellness and social supports that foster a sense of belonging and community. Learn more about Access & Inclusion Peer Programs
Finding Your Own MentorFinding Your Own Mentor is a six module e-course that will lead you through steps to start cultivating a mentoring relationship. Learn more about Finding Your Own Mentor
Mentor CafésMentor Cafés are themed discussions led by peer mentors from the Peer Mentor Facilitator Program. Learn more about Mentor Cafés
Mentor and Peer Professional Development ProgramThis program is currently being re-imagined and will be available to students who have completed Mentorship Foundations Training in October. Learn more about Mentor and Peer Professional Development Program
Mentorship Foundations TrainingMentorship Foundations Training is a 4.5 hour program to help you get the most out of your mentoring experience by building your definition of leadership, identifying strengths and finding a community of peer mentors on campus! Learn more about Mentorship Foundations Training
Peer Mentor Facilitator ProgramThe Peer Mentor Facilitator Program is a leadership development opportunity to improve your presentation and facilitation skills. Learn more about Peer Mentor Facilitator Program
Student Experience Mentorship ProgramThis unique program gives you the opportunity to mentor a staff or faculty member and share what it is like to be a student at U of T. Learn more about Student Experience Mentorship Program
Access & Inclusion Peer Programs newsletterSign up for the Access & Inclusion Peer Programs Newsletter! The newsletter lists our upcoming events and opportunities for underrepresented students. Learn more about Access & Inclusion Peer Programs newsletter