Birth control counselling
The physicians and nurses at the Health & Wellness Centre can provide counselling and information on the various forms of birth control, and can help you choose the method that is right for you.
If you choose to get an intrauterine device (IUD) after consulting with a physician, our clinic offers non-emergency IUD insertions. Refer to Booking & Documentation below for information about booking and preparing for your IUD insertion appointment.
Emergency contraception can prevent a pregnancy when used soon after a single act of unprotected intercourse, or following failure of a birth control device, for example, the condom breaks. Emergency Contraceptive Pills (ECP), previously known as the Morning After Pill (MAP), can be taken up to 72 hours following intercourse (the sooner the better). Copper IUDs are the most effective method of emergency contraception and can be used up to 7 days following intercourse. Note: Our same-day IUD insertion program is currently on pause due to COVID-19.
Find more information at whatsnextforme.ca.
Pregnancy is a major life event, and it can be especially challenging to manage while you are pursuing academic goals. Our physicians can provide care for students who think they may be pregnant, as well as information and resources for those who are. The Family Care Office can also help with family matters.
STI education and care
We offer care and education concerning STIs (sexually transmitted infections).
- Full-time and part-time University of Toronto undergraduate and graduate students who have paid the appropriate incidental fees.
- Toronto School of Theology undergraduate students at Emmanuel College in the conjoint full-time basic degree program.
- Students in the School of Continuing Studies English Language Program (identified by a student card).
Read the full Health & Wellness Eligibility policy.
Updated February 7, 2023
Birth control may be purchased at the Accounts Office at the Health & Wellness Centre.
Debit or credit cards are accepted. We do not accept cash.
- Kyleena: $375
- Mirena: $375
- Nexplanon: $315
- Mona Lisa: $65
All fees and prices are subject to change without notice. While we make every effort to provide you with the most accurate, up-to-date information, errors may occur.
Booking & Documentation
Book an appointment if you need assessment or counselling regarding an STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection). Complete the STI Assessment form.
IUD insertion appointment
Book an appointment for your IUD insertion. Before your appointment, complete the following:
1. Watch the short video: Talking Birth Control: Q&A with Dr. Green #MeetThe IUC.
2. Complete the IUD Insertion Patient History Form.
Note: You must complete the Patient History Form and bring it with you to your appointment. If you do not, your appointment may be cancelled or rescheduled.
On the day of your IUD insertion appointment:
1. Please arrive 45 minutes before the time of your scheduled appointment i.e. time of appointment on the appointment reminder. You will be meeting with a nurse for half an hour before seeing the doctor. This will allow you time to check in for your appointment when you arrive.
2. If you are unable to complete the form prior to the appointment, please arrive one hour (60 minutes) before your appointment. This will allow you sufficient time to complete the form before seeing a nurse and the doctor.
Privacy & Policies