Community Days and Community Kitchens
Community Days is a monthly program (a few hours, half a day or a full day) for U of T students to get involved and take action for social change. Community Days involve going off campus and entering communities or welcoming community leaders and members on campus. If this will be your first time working with a local community organization or if you’ve been involved before, you are welcome to join our collective effort to make a positive contribution to the City of Toronto… one day at a time!
Community Days’ Summary:
- Around 10 U of T students participate in each Community Day
- Each Community Day is preceded by a short day-of orientation
- Each Community Day involves a follow up reflection activity; this can be a short discussion at the end of the day and/or a series of reflection questions sent in the following days (via email)
- Volunteers spend 2-3 hours to participate in the project for Community Day
- The program happens once a month, starting September (except during exam months: December and April)
- Registration always required every month
- All Community Days are CCR (Co-Curricular Record) validated (once reflection responses are received)
- Transportation provided
- Learn From: Learning from and with our communities is a respectful approach to the work that honors reciprocity
- Learn With: Our focus on 'Learn With' is about encouraging participants to respect and appreciate the knowledge held in the communities where we volunteer and come from and
- Grow With: We continually work to respect different kinds of knowledge and grow in that knowledge
Our Partners and Projects
St. Albans Boys and Girls Club
- Start Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2018
- Location: 843 Palmerston Avenue
- Time: On the first Wednesday of each month, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m, beginning October 3.
Kensington Gardens Senior-Friendly Visiting
On the third Wednesday of each month, from 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. pm we visit senior at Kensington Gardens and play board games, listen to music or make crafts. We will be recruiting 5 to 10 student volunteers will be supporting with the activities
- Start Date: Wednesday, October 17, 2018
- Location: 45 Brunswick Ave
- Time: On the third Wednesday of each month, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., beginning October 17.
Hungry for social change?
Feed your need by coming to our community kitchen events. At these events, we will feast on engaging topic, build community around social justice issues, have fruitful discussions, and a wholesome meal.
Together, we will cook food with chefs and share ideas with community developers.
Coming soon to kitchen near you!