It’s essential to have a clear vision of what’s important to you and the direction you’re headed, particularly when engaged in online learning. A lack of clear goals can result in procrastination, poor concentration and lack of motivation. Goals will help keep you focused.
- Reflect on your past and current successes and name your strengths: find motivation in the things you know you do well and what you look forward to.
- Write out your goals for the semester and then break them down into smaller, more manageable steps. The SMART Goal Worksheet below offers a good model for these steps.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes and attempt the first step on your list. Don’t censor yourself or hold back; give yourself permission to experiment without self-criticism. After the timer goes off, you might have the momentum you need to move forward or a sense of the questions your need to ask. Take a break if you need to, but try to buildup your capacity to do work.
- If you are still getting stuck, try listening to music or engaging in physical activity right before you attempt the first step on your list.
- SMART Goals Worksheet (PDF)
- Motivation and Procrastination (PDF)
- Time Management & Organization (PDF)
5 Keys to Succeed at U of T Online Course
This non-credit Quercus course is intended to help you manage stress, use evidence-based study techniques, connect with supportive people and resources, and more!Learn more about 5 Keys to Succeed at U of T Online Course
Graduate Writing Groups
Graduate Writing Groups provide space and community support for you to focus on your writing, with the help of a team of graduate mentors.Learn more about Graduate Writing Groups
Grad Productivity Group: Actually Work from Home
Grad Productivity Group: Actually Work from Home is a supportive online environment where you can work in company with grad school peers.Learn more about Grad Productivity Group: Actually Work from Home
Study Hubs are scheduled times for you to set and meet your studying goals.Learn more about Study Hubs
Academic mentor appointmentsBook a one-on-one appointment with a peer mentor to get fast support and skills. Learn more about Academic mentor appointments
Academic Success resource libraryExplore our handouts and tip sheets on academic skills. Learn more about Academic Success resource library