Learning Well in First Year is a 6-part workshop series that can help you learn more effectively and get back on track in your first year.
Join us each week to check in on your experiences so far, and gain tips and strategies in a supportive environment. In our virtual sessions we invite you to discover what it means to learn well in your first year.
In these sessions you will:
- Reflect on your experience so far as a first-year student.
- Practice new strategies to become an effective learner.
- Discover ways to manage the new challenges of university learning.
- Have fun and build connections with other first-year students.
Learning Well in First Year is part of the Academic Resilience Initiatives at Academic Success on the University of Toronto’s St. George campus. We support academic resilience by developing group programs that foster community and belonging through learning strategies, productivity habits and well-being supports.
Additional opportunities include Learning Well in Second Year and the Learning How to Learn workshop series.
Undergraduate students in their first year of study
How The Program Works
Sign up for any or all weekly sessions hosted by learning strategists to:
- Build your learning skills as a first-year student.
- Reflect on your academic strengths and challenges.
- Connect with other students and learn about U of T resources and communities.
Winter 2023 sessions
Preparing for Success
You’ve made it through your first semester at U of T! What went well? What was more challenging? Join us to take a deeper look at how you can learn from difficulties faced last semester and strategies to get yourself back on track:
- Identify your academic strengths and areas for growth.
- Understand feelings of failure and challenge.
- Develop flexible and realistic goals to successfully bounce back from any setbacks last semester.
Managing Procrastination and Building a Routine
Everyone procrastinates – we all put off or delay work. But this can lead to feelings of overwhelm and burnout. Join us to learn how to manage procrastination and build an effective routine.
- Understand procrastination and how it affects our learning.
- Discuss short-term hacks and long-term strategies for getting unstuck.
- Develop a routine with your energy in mind.
Action Planning for Midterms & Assignments
When you have a lot on the go, planning early for midterms and assignment deadlines can feel impossible. Join us to explore effective strategies for breaking down exam and assignment prep into manageable steps:
- Understand how to apply active study strategies to prepare for midterms.
- Learn how to decode an assignment and plan for success.
- Know the difference between planning versus doing the task and how you can manage both.
Getting Ready for Reading Week
How can you plan for an effective and restful reading week? Join us to reflect on what needs to get done over your reading week and how to build your resource toolkit as a student:
- Develop a realistic plan to achieve your learning and life goals over reading week.
- Reflect on ways to integrate more breaks and self-care into your busy schedule.
- Learn best practices for prioritizing tasks and staying organized.
Stress, Rest and Finding Balance this Semester
This time of year can feel challenging. You’ve been busy, but there’s still a lot left to do. Join us to reframe stress, create more time for rest and learn how to find balance:
- Understand how stress can impact your learning.
- Learn ways to build rest and restoration into your routine to avoid burnout.
- Apply self-compassion as you attend to your holistic needs as a human and learner to help find balance.
Get Crafty Social!
Come join us for a celebratory social to wrap up our Learning Well in First Year series! In collaboration with Hart House, we invite you to join us for a fun-filled special edition of “Get Crafty” with light snacks and refreshments included. You’ll have a chance to:
- De-stress and create some awesome DIY buttons using glitter, colouring, stickers and more!
- Reflect on your learning and experiences.
- Build connections with peers and staff.
Each Learning Well in First Year event is hosted virtually on Zoom apart from an in-person social in March.
Sign up for any or all the weekly sessions on the CLNx:
- Preparing for Success: Wednesday, January 25 at 2 – 3 p.m.
- Managing Procrastination and Building a Routine: Wednesday, February 1 at 2 – 3 p.m.
- Action Planning for Midterms & Assignments: Wednesday, February 8 at 2 – 3 p.m.
- Getting Ready for Reading Week: Wednesday, February 15 at 2 – 3 p.m.
- Stress, Rest and Finding Balance this Semester: Wednesday, March 1 at 2 – 3 p.m.
- Get Crafty Social! (In person at Hart House): Wednesday, March 8 at 2 – 3:30 p.m.