Throughout March and April 2024, all undergraduate students will be asked to participate in the Student Experience at the Research University survey (SERU) via email.
This will be the second time U of T will participate in SERU. Check out the SERU 2021 Dashboard report.
SERU has also released a series of reports about the impacts of COVID-19 on students from June 2020 – February 2021.
What makes SERU unique?
- It’s a survey that includes students from all years of study, not only those starting and completing their degree. The demographic and social identity questions have been customized for Canadian institutions.
- It has a significant focus on interactions with faculty, participation and interest in research and related high-impact learning experiences.
- The survey focuses on the overall satisfaction of the institution and sense of belonging, the financial impacts of COVID-19, student health and wellbeing, belonging and engagement, and future plans.
- In 2024, the survey will also include questions around technology and Artificial Intelligence (AI) use in classrooms.
Our intentions with this survey:
- Share specific and relevant data with campuses, faculties and colleges.
- Compare our data against other large, publicly funded, research-oriented universities.
Students who complete the survey will be automatically entered in a random draw to win a gift card for iPad, Uber Eats or the U of T Bookstore. Your chances of winning depend on how many students complete the survey.
- SERU 2021 Dashboard report.
- The School of Graduate Studies has participated in the Graduate Student Experience in the Research University (gradSERU) in 2017, 2021 and 2023.
- You may also find it interesting to review the most recent results from the National College Health Assessment (PDF) and the National Survey of Student Engagement (PDF).
For staff: SERU promotion
- Digital slides: Please display the SERU digital slide (PNG) on your screens.
- Posters: Posters will be delivered to various offices across campus or are available here to print:
- Newsletters: Please add information about SERU to any newsletters or listservs you have. We can’t email groups directly about the survey, but we can add information to existing communications.
- Social media: There will be a social media campaign using the hashtag #listenUT. Wherever possible and appropriate, please repost and retweet on your unit’s social media channels.