The Multi-Institutional Study of Leadership (MSL) begins February 22, 2021.
Throughout February and March 2021, approximately 25,000 undergraduate students will be asked to participate in the Multi-Institutional Study of Leadership (MSL) via email. This is the fourth time U of T has participated in MSL.
What makes MSL unique?
- It’s a survey that includes students from all years of study, not only those starting and completing their degree. The demographic and social identity questions have been customized for Canadian institutions.
- It has a significant focus on co-curricular involvement and experiences “outside” of class, including campus clubs and organizations, peer programs, experiences as a mentor or a mentee.
- MSL focuses on outcomes like leadership, social change and resilience that are not in other surveys.
- The questions have been customized and designed recognizing that for most students, most of the 2020-21 academic year has been done via remote learning.
- We have developed customized reports for each campus, faculty and college at U of T, so that senior leaders within each can see how your responses are similar and different from your colleagues at the rest of the University.
This data has supported us in:
- Understanding the breadth and development of awareness of the Co-Curricular Record (CCR)
- Learning that up to 1 in 3 U of T students use languages other than English outside of class
- Understanding factors which support or challenge developing a sense of belonging
Students who complete the survey will be automatically entered in a random draw to win a gift card for Presto, Uber Eats, Chapters/Indigo or the U of T Bookstore. Your chances of winning depend on how many students complete the survey. The last time we administered this survey, about 5,000 students responded.
For staff: MSL promotion
- Digital slides: Please add this U of T is Listening (PNG) slide to any lecture or presentation for undergraduate students.
- Newsletters: Please add information about MSL to any newsletters or listservs you have. We can’t email groups directly about the survey, but we can add information in existing communications.
- Social media: There will be a social media campaign using the hashtag #listenUT. Wherever possible and appropriate, please repost and retweet on your unit’s social media channels.