International students studying across U of T’s three campuses hail from numerous countries around the world, speak hundreds of languages and have diverse life experiences. International students are multi-faceted – every individual’s pathway here is different!
Still, there are unique challenges and needs that most international students can relate to while studying at a Canadian university. For example, the academic cultures and policies of their previous schools will often differ from those of U of T’s, which can take additional time and effort to become familiar with. And for multilingual students, studying in English as an additional language (EAL) can introduce additional challenges and considerations in their learning. You might find that fellow international students can relate to your observations and questions because they are going through similar experiences of cultural and academic transition.
The term “international student” will likely have different meanings or associations for you and your peers. Whether this term reflects your legal status as a study permit holder, your experiences having studied outside of Canada or Ontario, or your transition to a brand-new educational system, we welcome you to attend our programming to ask questions and find community!
Academic Success offers events and programming for international and multilingual students – please scroll down to ASSOCIATED PROGRAMS.
- International Students: Stories and Strategies for Academic Success in Postsecondary Education (An e-book for all students)
- International Student Services (Centre for International Experience)
- Academic Success resource library (Academic Success)
- Find academic resources (Academic Success)
- English Language Learning (for Faculty of Arts & Science undergraduate students)
- Writing Centre Resources (for all students)
- Graduate Centre for Academic Communication (for graduate students)
- English Language Resources (for all students – Academic Advising and Career Centre, UTSC)
Workshops & Sessions for International/Multilingual Students
We offer drop-in Q&A sessions, workshops and panels for international students and multilingual learners at U of T.Learn more about Workshops & Sessions for International/Multilingual Students