The Council of Student Services (COSS)
Each year the Division of Student Life submits its Annual Report & Operating Plan to the Council of Student Services (COSS). These reports provide an overview of everything Student Life does to support students at the University of Toronto.
For more information on COSS, contact Julia Smeed at email@example.com or 416-978-8619.
Origin of COSS
In 1994, the Ontario government introduced Compulsory Ancillary Fee Policy Guidelines which outlined how non-tuition related fees could be introduced or increased. The Guideline requires that students be involved in decisions to increase non-tuition ancillary fees, and mandates that each institution establish a protocol to govern how this involvement would take place. In 1996, the Council of Student Services (COSS) was created to facilitate this involvement. All fees charged for Student Life, the Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education, and Hart House are charged pursuant to this Protocol.
COSS rules, procedures and policies
- COSS Orientation 2019-2020 (PDF)
- COSS Overview of Rules (PDF)
- COSS BOURINOTS (PDF)
- COSS Guidelines for remote meeting participation (PDF)
- COSS Chair Appointments (PDF)
- COSS Minutes Approving COSS Chair Process (PDF)
- Policy for Compulsory Non-Academic Incidental Fees
- Protocol on the Increase or Introduction of Compulsory Non-tuition Related Fees
- The Protocol establishes the Council on Student Services (“COSS”), consisting of students and University representatives, whose mandate is to enhance the experience of the students by promoting the provision of the most efficient and effective student services. Its key powers include the power to advise Governing Council, through its advice to UAB, on policy regarding many student services and to review the operating plans of these services.
- All proposals for the increase, decrease, introduction or elimination of a fee covered by the Protocol are to be first considered by COSS, and the Council’s advice will be sent to Governing Council through the University Affairs Board (UAB).
- Increases in existing fees based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) and/or the University of Toronto Inflation Index (UTI) may be approved by UAB and GC not withstanding the advice of COSS.
- The creation of new fees, or increases in existing fees greater than CPI and UTI require the approval of UAB, GC, and either COSS or a Student referendum.
COSS consists of seventeen voting members:
- The President of the University or the person delegated by the President
- Two part-time undergraduate students, appointed by the Association of Part-time Undergraduate Students
- Two graduate students, appointed by the Graduate Students’ Union
- Four full-time undergraduate students or members of the executive of the University of Toronto Students’ Union, appointed by the University of Toronto Students’ Union
- One full-time or part-time student, chosen by QSS (the COSS equivalent at UTM)
- One full-time or part time student, chosen by the CSS (the COSS equivalent at UTSC)
- Six other persons appointed by the President of the University of Toronto
COSS has a non voting Chair that is appointed by University Affairs Board. The nominee is selected from a list of candidates supplied by the student governments that are members of COSS (UTSU, GSU, APUS).
- COSS Members 2019-2020 (PDF)
COSS agendas, minutes and presentations
2019-2020 academic year
Chair: Hanie Yousefi
Secretary to COSS: Julia Smeed, 416-978-8619
Recording Secretary: Sarah Matias, 416-946-5462
If you need an alternate version of any of these documents or reports, please contact Tricia Kenderdine at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-946-7053.
Meeting #1 Introductory/Orientation
September 23, 2019 3 – 5 p.m. | Simcoe Hall, President’s Boardroom, Room 132 –
Meeting #2 KPE Sport & Rec Presentation
October 21, 2019 3 – 5 p.m. at Goldring Centre, 100 Devonshire, Room 221
Meeting #3 Student Life Presentation
November 25, 2019 3 – 5 p.m. at Koffler Student Centre, 214 College St., Room 313
- COSS Agenda Nov 25 2019 (PDF)
- COSS Summary Notes – Nov 25 2019 (PDF)
- COSS Student Life Presentation (PDF)
Meeting #4 Hart House Presentation
January 10, 2020 3 – 5 p.m. at Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle, Music Room
Meeting #5 Budget Presentation
January 20, 2020 3 – 5 p.m. at Koffler Student Centre, 214 College St., Room 313
Meeting #6 February 3, 2020 3 – 5 p.m.
Meeting #7 March 18, 2020 3 – 5 p.m.
Agendas, minutes and presentations for the Council of Student Services (COSS) in past years.