Our dynamic team of staff and mentors have expertise across a range of learning topics and theories. See the list of available workshops with descriptions, or we can create custom workshops for your group.
Request a workshop under Booking & Documentation below.
- Introduction to Academic Success (10-15 min)
This short presentation offers an overview of our services and how to access them, tailored to your audience. There will be time for a short question and answer period after the presentation.
- Core Skills Workshop: Active Learning Skills (50 min)
Not all forms of studying are created equally. During this session, a learning strategist will review evidence-based strategies for learning and retaining course material throughout the semester. These strategies will help you maximize the time you have to learn and study efficiently at a university level.
Complements to this workshop include the Taking Useful Notes from Class and Reading Effectively peer workshops. Practice your reading and note-taking skills and troubleshoot any difficulties.
- Taking Useful Notes from Classes (50 min)
Learn and apply note-taking strategies that make the most of your studying time. Dialogue with other students about useful methods and practice with a short online video to be able to customize a note-taking strategy that works for you and your courses.
By the end of the session, you will be able to:
- Understand how good note-taking extends beyond class time
- Project what sorts of information you need to record and how
- Identify what note-taking strategies are effective for you
- Engaging in Online Classes (50 min)
Discuss how to effectively engage in online classes with peers and instructors. Through group discussions and facilitated activities, you will:
- Make plans to navigate online learning platforms
- Learn effective ways to connect with professors and TAs
- Understand how to engage and make friends with other students
In each session, a student peer mentor will discuss ways to engage in online classes, point you towards resources and connect you to further supports.
- Core Skills Workshop: Motivation and Procrastination (50 min)
It can be challenging to start and continue academic tasks both big and small! During this session, a learning strategist will help you:
- Understand how motivation and procrastination work and how we can use both in our learning
- Explore ways and resources to increase and maintain motivation
- Learn about “productive procrastination” and how to manage your energy to avoid burnout
- Express Your Stress (80 min)
Express Your Stress is a safe and creative space for students to explore feelings of grief, loss, nostalgia, strength and self-love. A peer facilitator will guide you and other students through various writing prompts that you can interpret in whatever way suits you best.
Participants will get:
- Time to write and, if you choose, to share
- A chance to reflect on where you are and where you want to be
- New techniques to care for yourself while under stress
- Core Skills Workshop: Time Management (50 min)
Do you feel like there is never enough time to complete what you need to do? Learn how to manage your energy to sustain focus and get enough rest and relaxation time.
During this session, a learning strategists will help you:
- Understand your own rhythm for working and maximizing your productivity
- Prioritize competing tasks and organize time to accomplish what is most important
- Create a routine that helps you fit in work and rest
- Develop short and long term plans for meeting your personal and academic goals
A complement to this workshop is our Time Management Bootcamp peer workshop, where you’ll create your personalized weekly plan with the help of a peer.
- Time Management Bootcamp (50 min)
Time Management Bootcamps are an opportunity for you to set up your weekly schedule and improve your time management skills with a friendly peer facilitator! These virtual sessions are designed to help you stay on track with your classes, assignments and studying, while also giving time to other aspects of your life.
By the end of the session, you will be able to:
- Understand the basics of time management
- Be able to construct a weekly schedule
- Troubleshoot frequent obstacles in sticking to a schedule
Whether big or small, many or few, creating a plan to finish assignments on time can be challenging. During this session, we’ll discuss:
- Understanding and interpreting assignments to maximize learning
- Breaking down assignments and deadlines into manageable parts to stay organized
- Creating a project management plan to tackle multiple assignments
A complement to this workshop is our Planning Your Projects peer workshop, where you’ll be able to create an individualized plan for finishing your assignments.
- Core Skills Workshop: Assignment Planning (50 min)
Whether big or small, many or few, creating a plan to finish assignments on time can be challenging!
During this session, a learning strategist will help you:
- Understand and interpreting assignments to maximize learning
- Break down assignments and deadlines into manageable parts to stay organized
- Create a project management plan to tackle multiple assignments
A complement to this workshop is our Planning Your Projects Peer workshop where you’ll be able to create an individualized plan for finishing your assignments.
- Planning Your Projects (50 min)
This peer-facilitated workshop is for you to make and meet your goals on your essays, assignments and projects. Through group discussions and activities, you will:
- Learn prioritization techniques and ways of working with others
- Discuss the benefits of separating planning and execution
- Discover useful models to break down your projects
To prepare for this workshop, please gather your project's assignment sheet or any alternatives.
- Core Skills Workshop: Test and Exam Preparation (50 min)
Maximize your study time and manage multiple assessments. During this session, a learning strategist will help you:
- Create a study plan to prioritize course content
- Active study techniques to help you understand materials
- Manage stress and energy levels while studying and writing your assessments
A complement to this workshop is our Managing your Midterms/Finals peer workshop, where you’ll create your personalized study plan with the help of a peer.
- Managing your Midterms and/or Finals (50 min)
This peer-to-peer workshop will help you prepare for multiple final evaluations in an online environment. Through group discussions and facilitated activities, participants will:
- Share effective study practices
- Understand how we retain and lose information over the course of time
- Know the parts of studying for exams
- Begin to develop a personal plan
To prepare for this workshop, please gather your finals-related information such as your course expectations from the syllabi/course descriptions.
Faculty, staff and student leaders can request a custom workshop.
We consider workshops to be small interactive learning experiences, different from presentations – but we can and will work with PowerPoint and speak to large groups if that’s what works for you.
We can also facilitate reflection on learning experiences through creative writing, dialogue and art-based activities related to either curricular or co-curricular learning.
We would be happy to work with you to accommodate a request for your group. Allow at least 4 weeks notice to give us time to tailor the content to your needs.
To ensure success, we ask that you:
- Promote your event so you have at least 20 students in attendance
- Book suitable space and technology
- Provide a point person for day-of support
Booking & Documentation