If you decide to stay in Canada permanently, there are several ways you can apply to become a permanent resident of Canada. The IRCC website contains detailed information about the different permanent residency options, the eligibility criteria and the application process.
Streams to residency
There are several streams through which to apply for permanent residency.
- Express Entry; for more information, check the Express Entry FAQ.
- Quebec-selected skilled workers
- Start-up visa
- Family sponsorship
- Provincial nominees (also see Ontario Provincial Nominee Program)
- Atlantic Immigration Pilot
- Rural & Northern Immigration Pilot
- Agri-Food Immigration Pilot
Find a qualified immigration representative
International immigration student advisors offer a limited range of immigration advice to international students and their immediate family members (spouses, common-law partners and dependent children) at no cost. We can help with issues related to Canadian visas, study permits, and certain work permits such as the post-graduation, co-op and spouse/partner open work permits. International immigration student advisors are not able to provide any guidance/advice about permanent residency.
Information and tips on finding a qualified immigration representative:
- Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC)
- Canadian Provincial or Territorial Law Society
- IRCC’s tips on choosing an immigration representative
Immigration Workshops & Info SessionsThe Centre for International Experience holds regular workshops and information sessions to help you understand your immigration responsibilities. Learn more about Immigration Workshops & Info Sessions