Academic culture can vary greatly from one country to another, and many students need time to adjust to new rules and expectations. We can help you understand how to navigate academics at U of T through access to various language support programs and other academic resources.
Talk to a CIE transition advisor about any classroom challenges you might be facing. Getting tips from someone who knows the system can be a big help.
- English Conversation Communities for Grads (ECCG) – Practice your conversational English skills with this drop-in group just for grad students.
- International Language Exchanges – Meet other students while you discover new languages and share your own.
Other programs at U of T
- Graduate Centre for Academic Communication – Get individual support or try a workshop or non-credit course (for grad students who are either native or non-native English speakers) offered at the School of Graduate Studies (SGS).
- Arts and Science English Language Learning Program – Participate in a 7-week series of communication workshops (Communication Café) or a 3-week writing activity online. Open to all undergraduate students enrolled in the Faculty of Arts and Science.
- Engineering Communication Program – Build your professional-level communication skills as an undergraduate engineering student.
- Writing Centres – Make an appointment with a writing instructor or visit the drop-in centre to improve your writing. Read more about Advice on Academic Writing.
- Academic Success Centre – Choose from a variety of lectures and workshops to help you develop the skills you need to succeed as a student.
- English Language Program – Check out the academic courses in English offered by the University of Toronto’s School of Continuing Studies.
English Conversation Communities for GradsThe English Conversation Communities for Grads (ECCG) program is no longer offered as of fall 2020, but we are still here to support you! If you are an incoming international graduate student, check out Grad Step Up instead. Learn more about English Conversation Communities for Grads
International Language ExchangeBonjour U of T! Te gusta estudiar lenguas? This is your chance to practice or learn the basics of a new language, while helping other students do the same in regular weekly meetings! Learn more about International Language Exchange