As an international student at U of T, you will need to navigate Canadian immigration requirements. Our immigration advisor is here to help you sort through processes and paperwork.
The immigration advisor can help you:
- Understand your document requirements including study permit, entry visas, work permits etc.
- Understand the immigration requirements for your dependents.
- Choose the right immigration workshop and/or information session to learn about study permits, entry visas, work permits, permanent residency, USA or France visas and Canadian income tax.
- Locate additional appropriate services and resources.
A reminder that you are responsible for your immigration status!
- If you haven’t already, create your Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) online account and familiarize yourself with the online application system.
- Keep a record of the expiry dates of your passport and your study permit.
- Apply for a study permit extension two or three months before the expiry date.
- Always keep a scanned copy of each of your documents (for example, you could email it to yourself).
- Make note of your Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) “Client ID Number”. It is an 8-digit number found on your study permit. This is your personal identification number assigned to you by IRCC.
If you are looking for a transition advisor to help you adjust to life at U of T and Canada, please see International student experience advising.
The immigration advisor can only help U of T students or those accepted to study at U of T.
Virtual appointments during COVID-19
Effective immediately, immigration advising has moved to virtual appointments. Drop-in and in-person appointments are no longer available. Advisors are working remotely and the CLNx remains the best option for booking appointments (see Booking & Documentation).
To send a written question to the immigration advisors, please email email@example.com. When contacting this email address for support, please use your U of T email address and provide:
- your U of T student number and UTORid
- your citizenship and current location (inside of Canada or outside)
- the expiry dates of your immigration documents
- your current year and program of study
Booking & Documentation
To book an appointment for a phone or video call with an advisor online through the Career and Co-Curricular Learning Network (CLNx):
- Login to the CLNx with your UTORid and password.
- Go to Appointments on the left. (If you are a student who works at U of T, make sure you are logged in to your student account.)
- Click St. George Overview, then Centre for International Experience.
- Click Book immigration advising appointment. You will have two options:
- If you choose Book by appointment type, select Immigration advising and you will be shown a list of upcoming available appointment dates and times.
- If you choose Book by appointment provider, scroll down the list and select either Aziz El Mejdouby, Marc Arnold, Justin Kerr, or Marisa Norona for a phone/video call appointment.
- When scheduling your appointment time, be sure to include the following information about yourself:
- student number
- contact phone number (for phone appointments)
- brief description of the reason for the appointment
If you are unable to book an appointment online via CLNx, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a remote phone appointment and an immigration advisor will write you back to arrange a booking. In your email, please include your name, student number, phone number, location, level, and program of study, and the reason for your appointment.
Considerations & Exceptions
The International Student Immigration Advisors do not provide advice about Permanent Residency (PR/PNP) options. For any PR related questions, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.