As an international student at U of T, you will need to navigate Canadian immigration requirements. Our immigration advisor is here to help you sort through processes and paperwork.
The immigration advisor can help you:
- Understand your document requirements including study permit, entry visas, work permits etc.
- Understand the immigration requirements for your dependents.
- Choose the right immigration workshop and/or information session to learn about study permits, entry visas, work permits, permanent residency, USA visas and Canadian income tax.
- Locate additional appropriate services and resources.
A reminder that you are responsible for your immigration status!
- If you haven’t already, create your Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) online account and familiarize yourself with the online application system.
- Keep a record of the expiry dates of your passport and your study permit.
- Apply for a study permit extension two or three months before the expiry date.
- Always keep a scanned copy of each of your documents (for example, you could email it to yourself).
- Make note of your Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) “Client ID Number”. It is an 8-digit number found on your study permit. This is your personal identification number assigned to you by IRCC.
If you are looking for a transition advisor to help you adjust to life at U of T and Canada, please see International student experience advising.
The immigration advisor can only help U of T students or those accepted to study at U of T.
Virtual appointments during COVID-19
Effective immediately, immigration advising has moved to virtual appointments. Drop-in and in-person appointments are no longer available. Advisors are working remotely and the CLNx remains the best option for booking appointments (see Booking & Documentation).
To send a written question to the immigration advisors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. When contacting this email address for support, please use your U of T email address and provide:
- your U of T student number and UTORid
- your citizenship and current location (inside of Canada or outside)
- the expiry dates of your immigration documents
- your current year and program of study
Booking & Documentation
To book an appointment for a phone or video call with an advisor online through the Career and Co-Curricular Learning Network (CLNx):
- Login to the CLNx with your UTORid and password.
- Go to Appointments on the left. (If you are a student who works at U of T, make sure you are logged in to your student account.)
- Click St. George Overview, then Centre for International Experience.
- Click Book immigration advising appointment. You will have two options:
- If you choose Book by appointment type, select Immigration advising and you will be shown a list of upcoming available appointment dates and times.
- If you choose Book by appointment provider, scroll down the list and select either Aziz El Mejdouby, Marc Arnold, Justin Kerr or Joseph Unufegan for a phone/video call appointment.
- When scheduling your appointment time, be sure to include the following information about yourself:
- student number
- contact phone number (for phone appointments)
- brief description of the reason for the appointment
If you do not see any available appointments, please check back regularly as new appointment slots can be opened up at various times throughout the work week (Monday through Friday).
Considerations & Exceptions
The International Student Immigration Advisors do not provide advice about Permanent Residency (PR/PNP) options. For any PR related questions, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.