Poetic Heartwork: A 4-Week Arts Based Program
Performance poetry and the healing process.
This workshop series cultivates wellbeing by deepening creative writing and performance practices that are anchored in self-love. Each of the four sessions will explore a domain of wellness through art practice, including: body, mind, emotional & spiritual domains, and strengthening our capacity towards radical self and community care.
Thursdays, 6 - 7 p.m.
October 13, 20, 27 & November 3
Multi-Purpose Room, 2nd Floor, Multi-Faith Centre
569 Spadina Avenue (Entrance on Bancroft Avenue)
Registered students are expected to attend all four sessions.
Week 1: Poetic body widsom
- Exploring movement as language
- Learning how we use and take up space
- Using meditative movement as a reflective process unearthing narratives
- Acknowledging the stories our bodies tell us
- Exploring storytelling through our senses
Week 2: Teaching the mind what the heart knows
- Unlearning self-doubt and mental roadblocks
- Exploring identity intersections and how they shape our stories
- Positive affirmations to re-write negative internal dialogues
Week 3: The balance of letting go and letting in
- Cultivating compassion for ourselves that we can extend to others
- Connecting lessons from body-mind sessions to explore emotional domain
- Excavating authentic stories and working through the pain they may carry
Week 4: Finding purpose in the poetic
- Exploring why we are telling the stories we tell
- Learning how to ground ourselves after sharing
- Creating rituals of self-care tied to artistry to centralize self-preservation
Meet the facilitator
Facilitator Timaj Garad is a multi-disciplinary storyteller, using poetry, theatre, and music to bring her stories to life. Timaj's art is autobiographical, working at the intersections of a Black Muslim womxn challenging injustice, unearthing truths and healing. As an award-winning Artist, Timaj has graced over 100 stages and facilitated several arts-based workshops. Timaj is currently working on her first poetry collection to be released at the end of 2016.