The UHIP office has drop-in hours from Monday to Friday, 11 a.m. – 1:45 p.m. Appointments will be scheduled outside of these hours if necessary. If you wish to schedule an appointment, please email with the subject heading "Appointment Request".

The University Health Insurance Plan is a mandatory health insurance plan for all international and exchange students enrolled in an Ontario university. UHIP helps to cover the cost of hospital and medical services you may need to maintain your health while in Canada. You are automatically enrolled in UHIP, and the coverage charge will be listed on ROSI, your student account.

Everything you need to know about UHIP is available online at

This section of the website provides additional information specifically for international students at the University of Toronto. Please note that our UHIP office does not provide or administer coverage for post-doctoral fellows or visiting scholars.

Notice of disclosure
In order to facilitate UHIP coverage, the University has provided Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, the insurance provider, with your name, student number, mailing address, email address and date of birth. This is a mandatory procedure required for admittance to the University. If you have any questions regarding the security of these records or other concerns pertaining to your personal data, please contact the UHIP office. Additional information may be found on the Sun Life website.


Enrolment Get your UHIP card to enrol
Dependent Enrolment Enrol your dependents in UHIP
Summary of coverage Including services not covered by UHIP
Supplementary plans Additional coverage other than UHIP
Travel Insurance Coverage for travel outside Canada
Accessing health care How to use UHIP to access health care services
Health care at U of T Where to find health care on all three campuses
Preferred health care Services that you do not have to pay for up front
For children Where to find health care services for children
UHIP Forms For your convenience, some of the most commonly used UHIP forms are listed below
UHIP Exemption UHIP is mandatory unless you are eligible for an exemption
UHIP Refund Eligibility and deadlines for UHIP refund


If you are a degree-earning international student, then you will be automatically enrolled in UHIP for the twelve-month period running from September 1 to August 31 of the current academic year.

If you are an exchange student or a visiting international student you will be automatically enrolled in UHIP for the duration of the period for which you are attending the University.


Get your UHIP card online

You need to show your UHIP card and carry a claim form every time you use health care services, so print yours today. Register online, print your card and carry it with you.

Step 1: Register online
  • Visit and click register.
  • Enter your date of birth as day/month/year.
  • Select Canada as your country of residence and enter your postal code.
  • Click on health/dental benefits.
Step 2: Enter your details
  • Your contract/policy number is 050150.
  • Your member ID is U+ your student number (example: U1000123321).
  • Click next.
Step 3: Get your registration code
  • Click on need a registration code. If your email address is on file, a code will be emailed to you.
  • Open the email from Sun Life containing your registration code.
Step 4: Print your UHIP card
  • Return to
  • Enter your registration code and click next.
  • Create a password and select a security question. Click next.
  • Print your UHIP card.

If your account is locked or suspended, contact Sun Life Insurance at 1-866-500-8447.

Visit Student Health Network to locate a clinic or health care provider near you.

If you need assistance contact the UHIP Office at 416-978-0290 or email


Returning Canadians and the OHIP waiting period

If you are a new permanent resident or a returning Canadian citizen, you can purchase UHIP for the three-month waiting period before your Ontario Health Insurance Program (OHIP) coverage becomes effective.

The steps to do this are:

  1. Apply for OHIP at any Service Ontario Centre. You will need to have a number of documents with you to prove your eligibility for OHIP. Please refer to the Service Ontario website for a list of required documents and the OHIP application form.
  2. Bring the "Transaction Record" from OHIP to the UHIP office at your U of T campus.

The UHIP charge will appear on your ROSI account in 2–3 weeks.

Dependent Enrolment

UHIP coverage may also be extended to your eligible dependent family member(s). A spouse or common-law partner (including same-sex spouse or common-law partner) and/ or children are considered eligible dependents. Other family members (e.g. siblings or parents) are not eligible for UHIP coverage.

Unlike students, dependents are not automatically enrolled in UHIP. You are required to enrol your dependent family member(s) within 30 days of their arrival in Canada. You must be enrolled in UHIP in order to enrol your eligible dependents.

To enrol your eligible dependent(s), you are required to book an appointment with the UHIP office on the St. George campus. For your convenience, you may book an appointment online. Please follow the instructions to your right to book your appointment.

Extending UHIP for Dependents

UHIP coverage for dependents must be renewed within 30 days of expiry. New UHIP coverage will be applicable until August 31st. UHIP coverage must be continuous — provided dependents remain in Canada — and if current UHIP coverage has expired, please make an appointment with the UHIP office.


Important Notice for Spouses of International Students

Health and Wellness will no longer be accepting new clients who are student spouses. Student dependents currently enrolled with Health and Wellness will no longer have access to clinical services effective January 1, 2017 and will be provided an alternative in the local community. To find an alternative clinic or doctor, please visit the UHIP website.

Booking an Appointment: Step-by-Step Instructions

Step 1

Login to the booking system using your UTORid and password.

Step 2
  • Go to “Your Dependents” and click “Add a New Dependent”.
  • You must input and save your dependent’s information before booking an appointment.
Step 3
  • Go to “Your UHIP Applications”.
  • To create a new application, click the “New UHIP Application” button. Please note: If you have already created an application for your dependent(s), you may go directly to “Your UHIP Appointments” to book an appointment.
  • Select the name(s) of the dependent(s) you would like to enrol during your appointment.
  • Click “Submit” to go to the appointment page.
Step 4
  • Select an available appointment time.
  • Once selected, a confirmation email will be sent to your inbox.
  • Go to “Your UHIP Appointments” to view your bookings.
  • For your convenience, only one adult member of your family is required to attend the enrolment meeting. Please bring the following documents to your appointment: the dependent's passport, the student's TCard and method of payment (debit / credit)
Step 5
  • Should you need to cancel your appointment, go to “Your UHIP Appointments” and click “Your Booking”. The system will prompt you to cancel your appointment.
  • To schedule a new appointment, click “Book Appointment”.

Summary of UHIP coverage

UHIP will pay up to $1,000,000 a year to each plan member (you and your registered dependents) for the cost of eligible medically necessary health services and medical treatments. This may include:

  • Hospital and physician services
  • Surgery – including the administration of anesthetics
  • Ambulance
  • Diagnostic laboratory and X-ray services
  • Counselling and Psychological services
  • Gynecological exams
  • Pregnancy related health care (prenatal and postnatal), even if pregnancy began before arrival in Ontario  

Visit the UHIP website for details and a complete list of services and treatments covered.

Services not covered by UHIP

The following medical services are not covered by UHIP:

  • Prescription drugs*
  • Routine eye exams for persons between the ages of 20–65*
  • Dental care services*
  • Physiotherapy
  • Eyeglasses, frames and contact lenses
  • Acupuncture
  • Chiropractic services
  • Medical examinations and tests required for immigration purposes or third party cosmetic surgery
  • Preparation of records, reports, certificates and communications
  • Services not covered under OHIP at the time that the services are rendered

*Most students – not including international exchange students – are automatically enrolled in a “Supplementary Health Plan” which may cover several of the items mentioned above.

Visit the UHIP website for additional information on services and treatments that are not covered.

Supplementary health insurance plans

Supplementary health insurance plans provide you with additional coverage for services that are not covered under UHIP (or OHIP). There is no overlap of coverage between UHIP and supplementary health insurance. Supplementary insurance plans are separate from UHIP.

Whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student, domestic or international, you will most likely be enrolled in a supplementary health plan. Premiums for the plans will be charged automatically to your student account on ROSI.

Visit the following sites for further information regarding supplementary health plans:

Undergraduate students

Full-Time Undergraduate Students (St. George and UTM)
U of T Students’ Union (UTSU)
12 Hart House Circle 
416-978-4911, ext. 227

Full-Time Undergraduate Students (UTSC)
Scarborough Campus Students' Union (SCSU)
1265 Military Trail, Room SL-108

Part-Time Undergraduate Students (St. George, UTM and UTSC)
Association of Part-Time Undergraduate Students (APUS)
100 St. George Street
Sidney Smith Hall, Room 1089

Graduate students

All University of Toronto Graduate Students
Graduate Students' Union (GSU)
16 Bancroft Street

Teaching Assistants (TAs)

Teaching Assistants have additional coverage through CUPE 3902. For more information, please contact the union directly:

Downtown Office:
180 Bloor St West, Suite 803

UTM Office:
Room 2111, South Building

UTSC Office:
Room 335, Bladen Building

Graduate Assistants (GAs) at OISE

Graduate Assistants at OISE have additional coverage through CUPE 3907. For more information, please contact the union directly:

CUPE 3907
252 Bloor Street West,  Room 8-104

Note: Fees for these benefits are automatically deducted from your employment income.

Travel insurance

If you are travelling outside of Canada, you will need to purchase private travel insurance to maintain your coverage. UHIP provides minimal out-of-country coverage which is not sufficient to cover medical expenses when travelling outside of Canada.

Additionally, UHIP will only provide coverage for emergency services in another Canadian province up to the same level of coverage as provided in Ontario.

Travel insurance options
Please note that while the Centre for International Experience and the University of Toronto encourage you to get additional coverage when travelling outside of Canada, we leave it solely up to you to decide what is sufficient coverage. Listed below are a few companies that are popular with students. This list is given for your convenience only and is not intended as a recommendation of any company or service.  Please review policies carefully.

Travel Guard

Ingle International Travel Insurance

Travel Cuts — 187 College St. location, 416-979-2406

American Express — 100 Front St. West #133, 416-363-3883

The above travel insurance plans can be purchased in addition to UHIP coverage.

Full-time graduate students

All full-time graduate students enrolled in their GSU student supplementary plan have 60 days of travel insurance with the option to purchase more coverage. For more information on these benefits please refer to the section on supplementary plans.

Accessing health care

How to use your health insurance

All eligible Canadian residents and registered international students must present valid proof of health care coverage before receiving medical services. When you visit a medical service provider you will have to present your UHIP card. If you are visiting a preferred provider (i.e., a provider that accepts UHIP), they will record your information and bill Sun Life, the insurance provider, directly towards medical consultation fees.

Making a claim

Important note: Some health care providers may charge the Ontario Medical Association (OMA) rate – a significantly higher rate than UHIP or OHIP. You will be reimbursed the UHIP rate only. It is important to speak with the health care provider beforehand about medical rates.

Health care at U of T

The University of Toronto health clinics provide registered students with health care services similar to those offered by a family doctor, including counselling and psychiatric services.

St. George Campus

U of T Health & Wellness
214 College Street, 2nd Floor
Koffler Student Services Centre
Phone: 416-978-8030

Note: U of T students with dependents enrolled with UHIP can access healthcare in the local community. To find a local clinic or doctor, please visit the UHIP website.

University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM)

Health and Counselling Centre
Room 1123, South building
3359 Mississauga Road North
Phone: 905-828-5255

University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC)

Health and Wellness Centre
Room SL-270 1265 Military Trail
Telephone: 416-287-7065

Additional health services at U of T

All registered students at the University of Toronto have access to the following services and centres. Note that UHIP or OHIP coverage is required for the sports medicine clinics.

David L. MacIntosh Sport Medicine Clinic

David L. MacIntosh Sport Medicine Clinic
U of T Athletic Centre
55 Harbord St. (southeast corner of Spadina Rd. and Harbord St.)
Phone: 416-978-4678

The Sports Clinic

The Sports Clinic
Recreation, Athletics and Wellness Centre (UTM)
3359 Mississauga Road North
Phone: 905-820-9292

U of T Sexual Education & Peer Counselling Centre

U of T Sexual Education & Peer Counselling Centre
Room 101-102
91 St. George Street
Counselling Line: 416-978-8732
Administrative Line: 416-978-3100 

Preferred health care network

A preferred health care provider (a provider that accepts UHIP) will bill Sun Life directly for any health or medical expenses. This means you will not have to pay upfront for services covered under UHIP. On the other hand, health care providers who do not accept UHIP may charge you upfront for hospital or medical services. To guarantee coverage it is important to visit a preferred provider.

To find a preferred health care provider, visit the International Health Care Network. This online search tool is designed to find a preferred network provider closest to you. You may easily register using your email address and UHIP policy number (050150).

For your convenience, below is a list of preferred hospitals near the University of Toronto campus. Please refer to the UHIP website for a complete list of preferred hospitals in Ontario.

University Health Network

University Health Network

Toronto General Hospital

200 Elizabeth St.
Toronto, ON

Toronto Western Hospital

399 Bathurst St.
Toronto, ON

Princess Margaret Hospital

610 University Ave.
Toronto, ON

Rouge Valley Health System

Rouge Valley Health System

Centenary Site

2867 Ellesmere Rd.
Toronto, ON

The Scarborough Hospital

The Scarborough Hospital

General Division

3050 Lawrence Avenue East
Scarborough, ON

Grace Division

3030 Birchmount Avenue
Scarborough, ON

Hospital for Sick Children (Sick Kids)

Hospital for Sick Children (Sick Kids)

555 University Avenue
Toronto, ON

Mount Sinai Hospital

Mount Sinai Hospital

600 University Avenue
Toronto, ON

St. Michael's Hospital

St. Michael's Hospital

30 Bond Street
Toronto, ON

Health care for children

All UHIP members, including children, are eligible to seek health care services at any walk-in clinic and/or hospital in Ontario. If you want to have a pediatrician provide health care services for your child, please refer to the following list of locations:

Non-emergency services

Bay College Medical & Lockwood Diagnostic
790 Bay St., Suite 108
This clinic accepts UHIP.

MedVisit: Doctor's Housecall Service

Doctors are available for house calls 7 days a week, from 8:00 am until midnight.
Patients who are not covered by OHIP are required to pay cash.
UHIP members must submit a claim form (see below) to be reimbursed for the cost of the visit. Please note that there is a $12.50 non-refundable administrative charge for each visit.

Emergency or urgent services

Hospital for Sick Children (Sick Kids)
24-hour Emergency Department. Usually accepts UHIP.

As with all hospitals in Toronto, patients who come into the emergency department are triaged upon arrival (i.e., prioritized in order of urgency). This means that your child will be seen based on the immediacy of his or her needs and not in order of arrival. This is true no matter how you arrive at the hospital – even if you come by ambulance, you will still be triaged upon arrival in the Emergency Department. The more seriously ill or hurt your child is, the faster he or she will be treated. If it is a busy time and your child's need is not urgent, you and your child may have to wait hours to see a doctor in the emergency department.

Children's After Hours Clinic
235 Danforth Avenue, Suite 100 (between the Broadview and Chester subway stations)
Monday to Friday: 6 – 9 p.m.
Saturdays, Sundays and statutory holidays: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Appointments are not required.

This clinic is for urgently sick children. If your child is too sick to wait until a regular walk-in clinic or family doctor's office is open, but is not sick enough to be seen quickly in an emergency department, this may be a good option for you.

The clinic does not accept UHIP. UHIP members should pay the fees at the clinic and then submit a claim form (see below) for reimbursement.


For your convenience, some of the most commonly used UHIP forms are listed below. If you are unsure which form is appropriate for you, please contact the UHIP Office.

UHIP Claim Form

In the event that you are billed for medical expenses covered under UHIP, you must submit a claim form directly to Sun Life. Please refer to the Accessing Health Care Services page for more information.

Pre-Approved Health Care Plan Form

If you are a member of a Pre-Approved Health Care Plan, you are eligible for UHIP exemption. You must submit your completed form to the UHIP office. 

Pre-Approved Health Care Plan Form (OHIP)

If you are a member of the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), you are eligible for UHIP exemption.

If you are a returning Canadian, you are eligible for UHIP coverage during the OHIP waiting period. Completed forms must be submitted to the UHIP office.

UHIP Exemption Form

If you are covered by a health plan not listed under UHIP’s Pre-Approved Health Care Plans, you may apply for an exemption directly to Sun Life. 

Off-Campus Status Refund Form (PEY, Co-Op, SEP)

If you will be off campus through participation in a PEY, Co-Op placement or Student Exchange Program (SEP), you may be eligible for an off-campus status refund. You must submit your completed form to the UHIP office.

Off-Campus Status Exemption Form (SGS)​

If you are student enrolled in the School of Graduates Studies (SGS), you may be eligible for an off-campus status exemption. You must submit your completed form to the UHIP office.

UHIP Exemption

UHIP is mandatory for all international students. You are required to be enrolled in UHIP unless you are provided an exemption.

Pre-approved health care plans:

You are eligible for an exemption if you receive coverage from one of the following Pre-Approved Health Care Plans:

  • Canadian International Development Agency Health Care Plan
  • Canadian Bureau for International Education Health Care Plan
  • Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
  • International Council for Canadian Studies Plan
  • National Insurance Office for Social Insurance Abroad (Norway)
  • World University Service of Canada Plan
  • Embassy of Kuwait
  • Interim Federal Health Care Plan
  • Health Economic Administration, HELFO Abroad
  • Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau - GWL
  • Libyan Plan
  • Schlumberger Plan
  • Fletcher Allen
  • Canada csf plan for the Canadian Bureau for International Education (This plan is approved for exemption to UHIP effective July 1, 2013 for the 2013-2014 academic year only)

To receive an exemption, you must visit the UHIP office with the appropriate Pre-Approved Health Care Plan Form and proof of your health coverage. The refund for your UHIP premium will be adjusted on your ROSI account. All pre-approved exemption requests must be initiated as soon as possible. Applications will not be accepted after the refund deadline. Please see the UHIP Refund section below for more information.


Non pre-approved plans:

All international students are required to join UHIP, unless covered by a pre-approved plan. If you receive coverage from a health plan that is not listed above, you may apply for an exemption directly to Sun Life. However, please be aware that it is extremely difficult to obtain an exemption from UHIP. All non-pre-approved exemption requests must be initiated no more than 30 days after you are enrolled in UHIP.

To apply for exemption, you will need to fill out and submit a UHIP Exemption Form. This form, along with all required documents, must be sent directly to Sun Life:

Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada
PO Box 4097, Station A
Toronto, Ontario  M5W 2Z5
Telephone: 1- 877-250-UHIP (8447)

Please see the UHIP website for more information.

UHIP refund

Eligibility for a partial UHIP refund

You may be eligible for a partial refund of your UHIP premium if you meet the following conditions:

  • you become eligible for OHIP * or
  • you receive a UHIP exemption or
  • you withdraw from your undergraduate / graduate program or
  • you complete your academic program or
  • you have dependents who have left Canada.

If you are eligible for a refund, you must apply for it as early as possible. Timing is very important and will affect the amount of refund you receive (see UHIP Refund Deadline below).

* Note: If you obtain OHIP coverage after the refund application deadline, you may still apply for a partial UHIP refund. Please note however, that your refund amount will be pro-rated to the date that your refund application is submitted to the UHIP office.



UHIP refund deadline

Refund applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until February 28. Refund applications will not be accepted from March 1 to August 31.

If you are eligible for a refund, you must apply for it as early as possible. You are financially responsible for every month in which you have active UHIP coverage. Refunds will not be made retroactively.

For example:

  • if you submit your refund application in October, you will be charged $114.00 for two months of UHIP coverage.
  • if you submit your refund application in February, you will be charged $342.00 for six months of UHIP coverage.

Please note: if you apply on the 1st of the month, you will still be charged the full monthly premium.

To apply for a refund, you must visit the UHIP office with your relevant documentation. Your application for a refund must be made by the deadline in order to be considered for any refund of your UHIP premium.

International students who have recently changed their legal status in Canada from "international student" to "permanent resident" must ensure that their legal status with the University of Toronto is updated.  If your international student status is not updated, a UHIP coverage charge will be added to your account each academic year.

For more information, visit the UHIP site. You may also contact the UHIP office with any questions.