Peer Mentor Training
Make the most out of your mentoring experience by building your definition of leadership, identifying strengths and finding community of peer mentors on campus!
A one day training held the Saturday after the Labour Day weekend each year. Peer Mentors will work in groups of 25 peer mentors from across the University through 3 modules. Mentoring 101, Creating a Welcoming and Inclusive Environment and Mentoring Conversations.
Lunch is provided.
Registration is now closed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in attending.
Saturday September 9, 2017
10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Location Bahen Centre
This training is provided for students who are new Peer Mentors through their student organization or society, or those who could not attend Mentorship Foundations training in September.
Students need to complete 3 core modules IN ORDER (Mentoring 101, Creating a Welcoming and Inclusive Environment and Mentoring Conversations), and complete an evaluation/reflection of the program to show completion of this training program. This is not a CCR validated opportunity, however many programs require you to complete this training to receive validation for being a Peer Mentor. Check with your program coordinator if you are unclear about your specific expectations.
These sessions do not count toward the Mentor Leadership Certificate. These sessions need to be completed before starting the Mentor Leadership Certificate Program.
Foundational Training has concluded for the 2016-2017 year.
Individual sessions training will resume in September 2017.
Spring Training 2017
In the month of April, Peer Mentors who will be mentoring over the summer will have the option of attending a one day training or spreading their training over multiple days to accommodate their exam schedule.
Students need to participate in 3 core modules (Mentoring 101, Creating a Welcoming and Inclusive Environment and Building Relationships Online) to complete their training. These sessions should be done in order if at all possible.
Registration online now for the 2017 Spring Training courses listed below:
- Apr. 6 10:15 -11:45 a.m. The Coop, St. Michael’s College - Mentoring 101
- Apr. 6 12:00 - 1:30 p.m. The Coop, St. Michael’s College - Creating an Inclusive Environment
- Apr. 6 1:45 - 3:15 p.m. The Coop, St. Michael’s College – Building Relationships Online
- Apr. 17 10:15 -11:45 a.m. 313 Koffler - Mentoring 101
- Apr. 17 12:00 - 1:30 p.m. 313 Koffler - Creating an Inclusive Environment
- Apr. 17 1:45 - 3:15 p.m. 313 Koffler – Building Relationships Online
- Apr. 26 10:15 -11:45 a.m. 313 Koffler - Mentoring 101
- Apr. 26 12:00 - 1:30 p.m. 313 Koffler - Creating an Inclusive Environment
- Apr. 26 1:45 - 3:15 p.m. 313 Koffler – Building Relationships Online
Mentor Leadership Certificate
The Mentor Leadership Certificate is a CCR recognized opportunity for current Peer Mentors to supplement their mentoring experiences by participating in various campus workshops and events that contribute to their overall leadership development.
Attend 4 workshops that fit in the Mentorship Competency categories (role clarity, communication & engagement, personal development & wellbeing and knowledge of resources) and 1 Mentor Café and complete the reflection assignment to complete your certificate.
Peer Mentor Facilitators
Are you looking for a leadership development opportunity to improve your presentation and facilitation skills? We are always looking for peer mentors with a year or more of one on one or group mentoring experience to join the Peer Mentor Facilitators. This is a volunteer opportunity for students to work in pairs to schedule, plan and co-facilitate (on line or in person) 1 Mentor Café per month. Peer Mentor Facilitators also co-facilitate (with a staff member) at least one Mentorship Training Workshop, Club Hub or volunteer for at least one Thank a Mentor booth during Mentorship Week.
Mentor Cafés are themed discussions led by peer mentors from the Mentor Facilitator Program. If you register one day before the session refreshments will be provided.
January – Re Engaging Your Mentee
- Thursday Jan 5, 3-4pm (Multi-Faith Centre, Multi Purpose Room)
- Wednesday Jan 11, 3:30 (Innis Residence Events Room)
- Thursday Jan 19. 6-7pm (21 Sussex Rm 415)
- Friday Jan 27, 1-2pm (Multi Faith Centre, Multi Purpose Room)
- Tuesday Jan 31, 2-3pm (21 Sussex Rm 321)
February – Getting to Your Mentees Needs and Wants
- Thursday Feb 2, 3-4 pm (Multi-Faith Centre, Multi Purpose Room)
- Wednesday Feb 8, 3:30 – 4:30 pm (Innis Residence Events Room)
- Thursday Feb 16. 6-7 pm (21 Sussex Rm 415)
- Friday Feb 24, 1-2 pm (Multi Faith Centre, Multi Purpose Room)
- Tuesday Feb 28, 2-3 pm (21 Sussex Rm 321)
March – Coming To Closure
- Thursday Mar 2, 3-4pm (Multi-Faith Centre, Multi Purpose Room)
- Wednesday Mar 8, 3:30 – 4:30pm (Innis Residence Events Room)
- Thursday Mar 16. 6-7pm (21 Sussex Rm 415)
- Friday Mar 24, 1-2pm (Multi Faith Centre, Multi Purpose Room)
- Tuesday Mar 28, 2-3pm (21 Sussex Rm 321)
Talking to New People
Does the idea of walking into a room full of strangers make you want to run in the opposite direction? Are you really interested in finding a mentor but don’t know what to talk to them about? We will teach you the tips and techniques that will make those conversations a lot less awkward and a lot more meaningful.
Anyone can attend, however for those completing the Mentor Leadership Certificate one session will count toward the Engagement and Communication category.