While you are abroad on a CIE program you will still be registered as a U of T student. This means you will still have access to most of the University's facilities and services – at least the ones you can use from elsewhere in the world.  Make sure you register with the Safety Abroad Office so that we can help you stay safe while you are abroad.

Stay safe

Register with the Safety Abroad Office so that we can help you stay safe while you are abroad. This is also mandatory for your exchange!


Stay in touch

It's important to know who you should contact if you have questions while abroad, as well as what to do if you have problems or an emergency situation. Try to think ahead about what you might need while you are away and then ensure that you know how to access it or how to get in contact with the right person.

Let us know how your trip is going. If you need help with cross-cultural conflict or personal safety issues, contact the Safety Abroad Office. For program issues, please get in touch with your program office. If you simply want to touch base with someone in Toronto, send the CIE an email. We like to hear from you!


Emergency assistance

If you are currently experiencing an emergency, call us at 416-946-3929.

You can also reach us at the 24-hour collect Emergency line via Campus Police at 416-978-2222.

For further information about the emergency services we offer, please see our emergency assistance page.

How can we help you?

If you have any questions or concerns while you're abroad, CIE staff are ready to help. Here are some of the ways we can support you while you're away


Extending your stay 

Once abroad, you may decide that your Study Abroad opportunity is just not long enough. If you wish to extend your stay, you should contact your Program Officer to see if this is possible before talking to the host institution. For student exchange, if space exists within the partnership for you to do an additional term, the Exchange Officer will contact the host institution on your behalf to arrange this.


Shortening your stay

While you're away you may decide, for whatever reason, that you need to return home. You should contact your Program Officer immediately to discuss the necessary steps and timelines.


De-registration from ROSI 

CIE maintains your registration on ROSI while you are away. If you notice that you've been un-enrolled or de-registered, or that there is a mistake on your record, contact your Exchange Officer to correct this.


Letters proving your registration or overseas status

If you need a letter proving your registration or overseas status, please contact the CIE.