Immigration advising

It is your responsibility to make sure that all of your immigration and legal documents are maintained and up-to-date. However, we understand that navigating government regulations and important paperwork can be challenging. The CIE’s immigration advising office is here to help. 


Contact us Student Advising office hours and appointments
Information session Attend an information session
Resources Read about the area that concerns you

Contact us

The Student Advising office is located in room 202 at the Centre for International Experience, 33 St. George Street.
We are open Monday to Friday by appointment only. You can call the immigration advisor at (416) 978-2038.  

To send a written question to the Student Advisor, please email Note that the Student Advisor can only help U of T students or those accepted to study at U of T. Please use your U of T email address or provide your student number when contacting this email address.

To schedule an appointment with the Student Advisor, please email with 2 possible times suitable to your schedule and an appointment will be assigned. Please include the following information in your email:

  1. Name
  2. Student number
  3. Phone number
  4. Level and program of study
  5. The reason for your appointment

Please note: The International Student immigration Advisor does not provide advice about Permanent Residency (PR/PNP) Options. For any PR related questions, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Information session

The CIE holds regular information sessions and workshops to help you understand your responsibilities. We will announce updated information and workshop dates in the weekly email, 9 New Things International Students Need to Know. 

  • CIE Orientation information sessions (August/September and January)

  • Study Permit/Work Permit/Entry Visa workshops (online applications to CIC)

  • Permanent Residency information sessions

  • USA or France Visa information sessions

  • Income tax information sessions (March/April): where you can get advice about filing taxes in Canada


Read about the area that concerns you, and contact us if you have any questions:

Apply online to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for:

How to invite your Spouse, Children or Parents to come to Canada

Working in Canada

How to get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Income Taxes

Permanent Residence

Service Canada

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFATD)

USA Visa/Work Permits (download the presentation in the documents section)