International Student Advising
It is your responsibility to make sure that all of your immigration and legal documents are maintained and up-to-date. However, we understand that navigating government regulations and important paperwork can be challenging. The CIE’s immigration advising office is here to help.
Effective immediately CIE immigration advising has moved to virtual appointments. Drop-in and in-person appointments are no longer available. Advisors are working remotely and CLNx remains the best option for booking appointments (see below).
To send a written question to the immigration advisors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. When contacting this email address for support, please use your U of T email address and provide:
- your U of T student number and UTORid
- your citizenship and current location (inside of Canada or outside)
- the expiry dates of your immigration documents
- your current year and program of study
To book an appointment for a phone or video call with an advisor online through the Career and Co-Curricular Learning Network (CLNx):
- Login to the CLNx with your UTORid and password.
- Go to Appointments on the left. (If you are a student who works at U of T, make sure you are logged in to your student account.)
- Click St. George Overview, then Centre for International Experience.
- Click Book immigration advising appointment. You will have two options:
- If you choose Book by appointment type, select Immigration advising and you will be shown a list of upcoming available appointment dates and times.
- If you choose Book by appointment provider, scroll down the list and select either Aziz El Mejdouby, Marc Arnold, Justin Kerr or Marisa Norona for a phone/video call appointment.
- When scheduling your appointment time, be sure to include the following information about yourself:
- student number
- contact phone number (for phone appointments)
- brief description of reason for appointment
If you are unable to book an appointment online via CLNx, please email email@example.com to request a remote phone appointment and an immigration advisor will write you back to arrange a booking. In your email please include your name, student number, phone number, location, level and program of study, and the reason for your appointment.
NOTE: The International Student Immigration Advisors do not provide advice about Permanent Residency (PR/PNP) options. For any PR related questions, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.
The CIE holds regular information sessions and workshops to help you understand your responsibilities. We will announce updated information and workshop dates in the weekly email, 9 New Things International Students Need to Know.
CIE Orientation information sessions (August/September and January)
Study Permit/Work Permit/Entry Visa workshops (online applications to CIC)
Permanent Residency information sessions
USA or France Visa information sessions
Income tax information sessions (March/April): where you can get advice about filing taxes in Canada
Read about the area that concerns you, and contact us if you have any questions:
Apply online to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for:
USA Visa/Work Permits (download the presentation in the documents section)