Step Up is a residential, pre-orientation program for international students that will prepare you for your studies at U of T and your transition to life in Canada. It’s a great way to make new friends and get ready for your first-year of University!
Step Up is open to international students who will be starting the first year of their U of T degree in September 2016 in any of the faculties listed below. Additionally, new students who are citizens or permanent residents, and who completed their secondary level education outside of Canada, are also eligible for the program:
- Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
- Faculty of Arts and Science
- Faculty of Music
- John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design
Please note that Exchange students are not eligible for this program.
How it works
As a Step Up participant you will:
- Meet professors, peers and advisors who will support and guide you throughout your studies
- Participate in academic preparation workshops
- Get to know the resources available to you at U of T
- Get to know the University campus
- Have health care coverage through the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
- Stay in residence, with breakfast and lunch provided
The cost for the week is $300.00. This fee includes:
- Your stay in residence from Sunday evening August 28 to Friday morning September 2
- Breakfast and lunch from Monday, August 29 to Thursday, September 1 inclusive.
- All activities between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. for the duration of the week, plus optional evening activities
Staying in residence for Step Up
All Step Up participants will stay in residence for the duration of the program. Specific residence information will be forthcoming.
All students who will stay in a U of T residence for the 2016-17 academic year will be granted early move-in to those residences on Friday, September 2.
How is Step Up different from other orientation programs?
Step Up will help you prepare for your studies and introduce you to U of T's many cultures. We will have several workshops on academic success and intercultural learning, along with team-building activities to help you meet people and make friends. Step Up is an immersive orientation program. You’ll be spending most of your time with a group of other students, learning together and sharing experiences of your first days as U of T students.
Participants will move in to temporary residence on Sunday August 28.
Step Up program activities will run from Monday August 29 to Thursday September 1 inclusive, with optional volunteer-led social activities on Friday September 2.
On Friday September 2 participants will move out of temporary residence and into their assigned U of T residences or off-campus accommodations.
For details, please see the Step Up Provisional Schedule
Registration for Step Up 2016 is by invitation only. If you meet our eligibility requirements, then you will have received an email invitation. If you have checked your email and this is not the case, then please contact us directly.