For most of the programs offered through CIE you will continue to be registered as a U of T student. This means you will remain eligible for many of the loans, scholarships and bursaries available to U of T students, including government assistance such as OSAP (refer below) and other provincial, territorial or federal loan programs.

Financial difficulties should not prevent students from gaining the international experience that studying and living abroad can provide. U of T offers a variety of scholarships and bursaries through the CIE and various other offices. Please inquire at your college or faculty for this information or visit the U of T funding section below.


Costs Before you go on exchange you need to think carefully about your expenses – find tips and details here
OSAP If you are currently eligible to receive OSAP you will continue to be eligible during your exchange
International Experience Awards Check in September 2018 for details of the next round.
U of T funding Find exchange funding through U of T


Before you head out on exchange, you’ll need to think about what expenses you can expect. You will pay tuition and incidental fees to U of T, but there will likely be many additional costs involved that you will have to cover yourself while abroad. These additional costs may include: flights, visas, insurance, accommodation, books/course materials, travel/commuting expenses and personal/entertainment expenses. You can use the Financial Planning Calculator, designed for current U of T students, to help you budget your personal finances at U of T. 


For most CIE Exchange programs, you will have to pay regular full-time tuition and incidental fees to the University of Toronto. You will not have to pay tuition fees to your host university unless you are participating in a Self-Designed Program.


Exchange rates

Exchange rates can fluctuate quickly and can vary greatly from country to country. There are many exchange rate sites (e.g., Universal Currency Converter) that can help you calculate (approximately) the difference in cost of living.


Total cost of an exchange

When estimating the total cost of an exchange, there are many expenses to take into account. The following is a list of the basic categories that your expenses will fall into. Keep in mind that costs will change from country to country:

  • U of T tuition and incidental fees
  • Miscellaneous host university costs (these may include sports fees, student fees, etc.)
  • Travel costs (return airfare, transportation within host country)
  • Mandatory supplementary health insurance
  • Room and board
  • Transport (e.g., airfare, public transit, purchasing a bicycle, etc.)
  • Clothing and other personal items
  • School supplies
  • Phone calls
  • Field trips (if applicable)
  • Entertainment
  • Unforeseen expenses (e.g., medical care, emergency transportation, disasters, legal or diplomatic costs, etc.)

Estimates for some of the above costs can be found on many of the partner universities' websites, which you can access through the CIE International Opportunities search tool. Note that the cost of living for an exchange may vary substantially from these estimates depending on your choice of accommodation, recreation, food, etc. If the estimated costs provided by the host institution seem too high, remember that there are often small ways in which you can change your lifestyle to save money. That said, it is common to spend more than anticipated while studying abroad.


While studying abroad through CIE you will likely still be registered as a full-time student at the University of Toronto. This means that if you are currently eligible to receive OSAP, then you will continue to be eligible during your time abroad.


Amount of funding

If you will receive U of T credit or transfer credit for your study abroad program, then you are eligible to receive the same amount of OSAP that you would receive here at U of T. However, differences in the cost of living between Toronto and your destination abroad will not affect your eligibility or the amount of funding you get.

If you are studying for internship credit you may or may not be eligible to receive OSAP for your time abroad. This depends on how much money you earn for your internship work, as well as the duration of your studies and the academic credit you receive.


Application timing

You should always apply by the OSAP deadline to ensure that your paperwork is completed on time.

If you will be studying abroad for the summer or have a July start in the southern hemisphere, then you will have to apply using the previous year's application (if you already have an active application for that year). All other students can apply at the regular time, online as usual.


Required supporting documentation

You will need to submit the Exchange Studies Cover Sheet  with your OSAP application supporting documents.


Funding from Other Canadian Provinces

If you are applying for funding from a province or territory other than Ontario, it is important to contact the Out-of-Province Financial Aid Team at Enrolment Services as soon as you know that you will be taking part in an exchange program. Please contact the Out-of-Province Financial Aid Team ( prior to applying to your home province/territory for your exchange term. This will ensure that your application information, such as study period dates, is correct before you submit the application.

International Experience (IE) Awards

Outbound Exchange and SREP Programs

The Centre for International Experience administers a variety of awards and scholarships for students undertaking a CIE exchange/research programs. The International Experience (IE) Awards do not cover the entire cost of CIE programs and are intended to assist students with financial needs in going abroad. Students should have explored all sources of funding opportunities before applying (e.g. family support, savings, external funding).

The 2018-19 rounds have now closed. 

Check back in September 2018 for details on the next round of funding opportunities. 

If you have any questions regarding your IE Awards application, please contact

Other Scholarships/Awards

Please click below for details on other available scholarships and awards through CIE and their respective application instructions.

U of T funding

The University of Toronto offers many awards which are either intended expressly for study abroad opportunities or which are indirectly applicable to your term abroad.

You can find listings of U of T Award Competitions and External Award Competitions on the Admissions and Awards website.

There are also many scholarships and bursaries offered by your faculty, department or college. Please scroll down to find the information that is relevant to you.


Faculty of Arts & Science

The Faculty of Arts & Science at the St. George campus has a number of awards for undergraduate and graduate students. Among these, the following are notable for being specifically designated for travel abroad and have a March 15 deadline each year:

Dr. David Chu Scholarships in Asia Pacific Studies (unspecified amount, undergraduate or graduate)

Andrea and Charles Bronfman Student Awards in Israeli Studies (unspecified amount, undergraduate or graduate)

Associates of the University of Toronto Awards for Study of the United States ($2000 undergraduate/ $3000 graduate)

Walter and Mary Tuohy Award in Arts and Science ($2000, undergraduate only)


Departmental awards

East Asian Studies:



Slavic Languages and Literature:

Estonian Studies:


College awards

Many U of T Colleges administer awards which require an application. You can find specific information at your own College Registrar's website:

Innis College

New College

St. Michael's College

  • The Celtic Studies Scholarships for Summer Study ($3500)
  • The St. George’s Society of Toronto Financial Awards ($300-1000)

Trinity College

  • Neil Reid McLeod Scholarship ($4000)
  • The William Rogers Memorial Scholarship ($1500)
  • The Martin Simpson Award ($3500)
  • St. George’s Society Awards (up to $2000)

University CollegeTravel Awards

  • The Elizabeth Brown Travel Award ($2000)
  • The Sally Croll Award for Study Abroad in French ($1200)
  • The Gladys Wookey Davis Travel Award in Drama
  • Elisabeth Destout Travelling Scholarship ($2000)
  • Margaret Jean Leppington Scholarship ($2000)
  • Jane McAdams Perron Scholarship ($3000)
  • Teetzel Travelling Award ($3000)

Victoria College

  • Study Abroad Funds (up to $2000; multiple)
  • The Bader International Bursary (up to $5,000 for summer and $10,000 for fall/winter/full-year towards studying at the Bader International Centre at Herstmonceaux Castle; Priority will be given to students of Victoria College)
  • Coburn Award (up to $20,000 towards a year of study in Israel)
  • The Murray and Katherine Corlett Award for International Study
  • The Sandra Irving Award for the Victoria/ Acadia Exchange
  • The James Morrow Bursary
  • The Richard Iorweth Thorman Award for International Study
  • The John Hamilton Watson Award for International Study Awarded
  • The Olga and Guido Pugliese Award in Italian Renaissance Studies

Woodsworth College


University of Toronto Mississauga

There are a number of awards for UTM students. Please see the Office of the Registrar's website for Scholarships and Awards information.


University of Toronto Scarborough

There are a number of awards for UTSC students. Please see the Office of the Registrar's website for Merit Awards and Scholarships, as well as the U of T Scarborough Student Academic Conference & Travel Fund.


Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering

There are many awards for undergraduate and graduate students in the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering. In addition to the awards listed on the Faculty website, students who apply for the CIE bursary may be considered for APSC bursary help with no additional application.


Faculty of Law

There are a number of awards available for Law students. Please see the Faculty of Law's Bursaries and Scholarships page for detailed information.


Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education

There are a number of awards available for Kinesiology & Physical Education students. Please see KPE's Awards and Scholarships page for detailed information.


School of Graduate Studies

There are a number of awards available for School of Graduate Studies students. Please consult SGS's Financing Your Graduate Education page for detailed information.


New Doctoral Travel Award – The Weston Fellowship

The W. Garfield Weston Doctoral Fellowship Program will provide 16 U of T graduate students (from all divisions; must be a Canadian citizen) with a travel award of $50,000 to further their research and broaden their skills and networks in a global setting.

For more information about this new award and how to apply, please see the SGS website.