Collaborating to influence change in the community and beyondNew U is the Student Leadership Conference for incoming leaders of student unions and student government. It is a great opportunity to meet other people so it's important that you are open to network. Here are some tips on how to enjoy a conference:
- Be open to the experience, to meeting new people and having fun!
- Know what to expect; the conference goals will be posted on the New U website and the sessions will reflect these goals.
- Always remember the first law of socializing: act like a host. This means taking the initiative and introducing yourself to others. It means keeping in mind the people you know and have met so that when you meet someone new, even if your interests are a million miles apart, you can always say "Have you met so and so? You should. I'll introduce you when I see you together."
- Remember that everyone else is feeling like they don't know anyone too.
- Be as socially generous as possible. It almost never "costs" anything to invite someone along, bring them into a conversation, introduce them to your peers, connect them to someone of common interests, etc. and these things (a) are always remembered, and (b) go around and come around.
- Bring your mug, reusable water bottle, pen, alarm clock and business cards.
- Clothing attire is casual; if you want to participate in social activities that may involve team sports or activities, make sure you're dressed comfortably.